[time-nuts] Re: What everyday uses are there for accurate clocks?

adrien.demarez at free.fr adrien.demarez at free.fr
Wed Nov 30 22:48:16 UTC 2022

I didn't read the whole thread so I may have missed some past answers. However one example I may give for " What everyday uses are there for accurate clocks" is the one about TDD phase/time synchronization for TDD 4G/5G base stations: equipments on the same channel (same operator, or different operators across a border) or on adjacent channels within the same band all need to transmit at the same time and receive at the same time (otherwise the cross-link BS-BS interference vastly outscales what 3GPP RAN4 has specified, and specific measures need to be taken - but 5G base stations no longer enable the possibility to add custom operator-specific cavity filters...). You may have a look at https://docdb.cept.org/download/1160

In order to transmit/receive at the same time, all equipments from all operators must use on a common clock (typically traceable to UTC), with an accuracy of +/-1.5 µs (as specified by 3GPP). This is often done with GPS, but all the standards from ITU-T Q13 (PTP, SyncE...) enable to transfer time across a network which alleviates the need for a GPS receiver at each site (or the need to shutdown the site if its GPS receiver gets jammed. Unfortunately more and more GPS jamming events are observed despite it is highly illegal... :-/ ). Having a high quality local oscillator in base stations enables to keep it in free-run for a longer holdover time in the case of such a GPS jamming event (since it will take longer until the +/-1.5µs budget is exceeded).

--
Adrien