[time-nuts] Re: Input stage for time interval counter

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Nov 30 23:31:51 UTC 2022

Hi,

On 2022-11-30 17:14, Hans-Georg Lehnard via time-nuts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently working on a 2 channel time interval counter. It should
> measure frequencies from 5 to 20 MHz. And hopefully have a resolution
> about 1E-13 at 0,1s to measure HP10811 OCXO stability.
>
> For inputs should I use  UNBAL Rf transformers 1:4 (1:16) or drive the
> LTC9657 directly.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions

I think I would go without an transformer. The transformer only helps if
you have low-frequency or DC differences you want to isolate from. For
higher frequencies, it couples through capacitive effect straight
through. If you want to isolate from RF frequencies bring the signal and
"ground" through a ferrit choke to suppress the common mode, and be sure
to have capacitive coupling to ground on the "inside" of that.

For most designs I've only see ferrit choke for common mode current
reduction help. The coax shield should be bolted to the chassi and
ground, but only sensed on the inside as reference, but not distributed
further in on the board. RF transformer use is more relevant if you want
to impedance convert or voltage convert, but isolation wise rarely worth
the effort most of the times.

So, that is what my experience tell me. There are a couple of books from
Henry Ott I would recommend you to consult, if I where to do a narrow
pick from the ones in my bookshelf.

Good luck with your project!

Cheers,
Magnus