[time-nuts] Re: James Miller/Brooks Shera 10 MHz GPSDO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Sep 1 20:55:53 UTC 2022

Hi

The version you have simply has a “box” around a fairly normal
10811 OCXO. Tearing it apart is possible. It isn’t a whole lot of fun
though.

I still believe that the GPSDO board should put out +/- voltages
and not just a negative voltage. Positive tune voltages are pretty
common. Bipolar tune is unusual but not unheard of. Negative
only tune is *very* rare.  Since the board is already out in the open,
working on it should be easier than ripping open the OCXO.

Bob

> On Aug 31, 2022, at 11:21 PM, Mervyn Thomas via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> I need to find a schematic to download for my particular version of the HP oscillator
>
> Merv
>
> On 31/08/2022 2:59 am, Bob kb8tq via time-nuts wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> If you check the 10811 schematic, the varicap is biased at roughly +6.8V internally.
>> The other side of the diode is what the EFC is driving. This gives them the +/- 5V
>> range they specify on the 10811 data sheet.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>> On Aug 30, 2022, at 5:39 AM, paul swed via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Pretty clever approach to establishing an offset. But doesn't it matter how
>>> the vari-cap is hooked up in the oscillator circuit? If the veri-cap needs
>>> a negative voltage to work that may indicate the cathode is at ground and
>>> the positive voltage would forward bias the vari-cap. Just thinking about
>>> the possible impact.
>>> Though the cost of experimenting is $0. No harm.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul