[time-nuts] Syncserver S300 LFR 60 kHz WVVB

Todd Smith tssmith2002 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 15:48:30 UTC 2022

Hello

I stumbled upon this list while looking for some information to refurb a
couple of older Symmetricom (Microsemi) S300 Syncserver NTP appliances
equipped with the optional LFR 60 kHz kit.  I believe that I am receiving
signal at my location since the LED on the back of the unit beside the LFR
antenna  port blinks while it is running.  It shows unlocked in the GUI
since it is apparently not decoding the signal.

I have read where in 2012, NIST changed the format for WVVB from AM to a
phase modulation and some receivers might not be able to decode the phase
modulation.  Do you think that is the case here?  I need to get another
WVVB receiver and test that I can receive signal at this location but I am
high enough and away from interference sources so that leads me to believe
that I am probably receiving signal.  Over 72 hours on the graph in the GUI
and it never decodes a signal yet the back blinks the entire time.

If phase modulation is the issue; is there a demodulator that I can get to
correct the signal format?

Thank you for your time

Todd Smith