[time-nuts] Re: Syncserver S300 LFR 60 kHz WVVB

rodger_adams at yahoo.com rodger_adams at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 18:20:27 UTC 2022

Hey Todd,

I think you are probably correct that your issue is caused by the BPSK
modulation.  There are at least 2 members of this list that have worked on
solutions to the BPSK removal problem.  Paul Swed created a nice solution
and he and I are currently running this "d-psk-r" circuit and are using the
"corrected" WWVB signal to drive various old WWVB devices, including HP-117
phase comparator, Fluke 207 comparator, various Spectracom comparators,
Spectracom Netclocks, R-1407/URQ comparator, and probably a few more.

The d-psk-r that we are running uses an Arduino to generate the 1pps bpsk
code and then a simple mixer (phase flipper) to process the received signal
directly at 60 khz.  Of course the Arduino circuit needs to be in sync with
the WWVB phase modulation so we use a GPS module to get the time and clock
the Arduino using the GPS's PPS output.  It might seem like cheating to use
GPS to correct the WWVB BPSK but if the goal is to return vintage hardware
to operation it's a pretty good way to go and works very well.  One d-psk-r
can drive all the 60 khz devices you want.   If you want to eliminate the
GPS cheat, there are other ways to go.  I've created a module that can drive
the d-psk-r Arduino using a WWVB clock module emulating GPS NMEA sentences
and PPS pulses.  There are also some other circuits floating around
including a Costas loop demodulator but I didn't have much luck with that.
I'm not aware of any commercially available product to solve the problem.

If you search the group archives you'll find lots of discussions on the
topic.  If you're not afraid to play around with Arduinos and soldering
irons, you can build the d-psk-r easily for under $100.  We've written up
some pretty reasonable documentation which we're happy to share if you're
interested.

I know that Paul and I are still currently using (and to some extent
improving) his d-psk-r.  I'd be very interested to learn if there are other
list members using any other solution(s) or if anyone even thinks it's still
a topic worth pursuing.

Good luck,

Rodger