[time-nuts] Re: Do crystals still jump?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Sep 4 20:38:30 UTC 2022

Hi

All frequency sources move around. ADEV is one way to
demonstrate this. ADEV is normally driven by continuous
processes in the device. Jumps are something that happens
very rarely.

The term jumps is normally used to describe a change in frequency
that is not driven by the external environment. It might be used
to describe a frequency perturbation that occurs over temperature.
It would be more common to see the issue described as a
perturbation.

Once you get past those two areas, it is uncommon to see the term
used that way. Thus a bit of confusion when it simply gets tossed
up with no context.

Bob