[time-nuts] Re: Syncserver S300 LFR 60 kHz WVVB

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Mon Sep 5 07:20:05 UTC 2022

Bob kb8tq said:
> As time has gone on, the world has fallen in love with switching power
> supplies. Often these run at 40 to 80 KHz and create a ton of RFI. That has
> made WWVB more difficult to receive. Also MSF propagates into  the northeast
> at some times creating issues as well.

I remember a rant from Dave Mills many years ago when his WWVB gear was no
longer working well.  I couldn't find it via google.

My memory is that he had tracked down the interference to EMI on the power
lines coming from a local factory.  I don't remember how far away it was.  I'm
guessing it was 1-3 miles, maybe 5-10.

Has anybody seen any reports of this sort of problem?  Did NIST publish any
data when they were researching the new modulation scheme for WWVB?

If I want to measure EMI around my neghiborhood, what sort of gear would I
need?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.