[time-nuts] Re: WWVB Loopstick Antenna Project

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 15:13:32 UTC 2022

The header seems to say the application. A wwvb antenna.
If you look in any of the simple cheap atomic clocks you will find a rod
about 2-3" long.
Typically a resonating cap right on the antenna for 60 KHz. These work well
enough to receive wwvb at night when the signals much stronger than during
the day.
As insight near Boston 60 uv day and last night 1500 uv on a 5' loop tuned
for 100 KHz not wwvb. The 10' square loop is something like 200/10,000 uv.
Honest. Not every night but many of them. I have used bundled rods for a
number of years but the square loops are better. More importantly no
ferrite was ever harmed in building them.... So that must mean the square
loops are more green. Right?
OK sorry went of topic.
all things are a tradeoff. Large loops are hard to install and then manage
over time. Especially when a large branch crashes through the loop after 5
years. Thats why at 100 KHz I went to a 5' loop. Less of a target.
Whats nice about the rods are they really are pretty small.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL