[time-nuts] Demodulate WWVB

Todd Smith tssmith2002 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 17:48:21 UTC 2022

My work pressures keep me from posting as timely as I would like.  Thank
you for such a very accepting list for newcomers!  I have received many
suggestions and some private emails as well but there have been some
confusion so I would like to clear up what I have and what I am trying to
do.

*What I have:*
I have 2 S300 appliances that I have inherited at work that have been
running for a while now and working but have been on autopilot for years
after the engineer that installed them left.  I am trying to get all
functions of the units working, including the modem and the LFR.

My application is just NTP timing for network applications and
workstations, nothing that requires PTP or 1PPS.  I believe that modem and
LFR will work as well as GPS for that function.  GPS is preferred but that
is going to fail in a few weeks during the rollover event.  These Furuno
GT-8031H receivers survived the official GPS Number of Week Rollover in
2019 but the internal representation of these units will rollover Sept 18,
2022 00:00 UTC

I have ordered replacement GPS receivers from Jackson Labs but they will
not be here in time but as long as Syncservers stay up; there is
no problem.
I have them connected to external NTP servers now, but adding as many
sources to the unit as possible makes it that much better.  The units are
connected to external LFR antennas and back in the day were working but no
one noticed that the phase modulation kept the LFR radios from working
after the NIST WWVB changeover.

I don't HAVE to have LFR, but I have antennas installed on a 6 story
building and I believe that if possible then I would like to get the LFR
running again.

*What I am trying to do:*
I would like to buy/build a circuit that will connect to my existing LFR
antenna via BNC that would remove the phase modulation from the existing
WWVB signal.  This circuit would also connect to my Syncserver LFR via BNC
and send the corrected signal to the Syncserver.  It might be that I need
to buy/build several circuits to do this but I am looking for
suggestions/posts that talk in detail about how to do this.

My electronics experience is somewhat limited but I can read and generally
follow instructions with good pictures.

Does this help the list understand what I am doing and what I need?

Thank you for your assistance!
Todd