[time-nuts] Re: dial-up time source for NTP

Todd Smith tssmith2002 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 18:00:23 UTC 2022

Richard,

I would respectfully disagree with the last statement, "If you are doing
this for an reason other than 'because I can" fun, you're probably doing it
wrong."  IMHO, the time community should diversify as many sources as
possible that don't rely on GPS or the Internet.

I think that we should be using as many sources as possible so that NTP has
as much data as possible to select the "goodchimer" from.  Yes, using a
modem for PTP or 1PPS might not be the best option but modems and LFR are
still good diverse options.

Thank you for your thoughts
Todd