[time-nuts] Re: dial-up time source for NTP

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Sep 14 00:18:36 UTC 2022

Hi

Traditionally, the gotcha with doing it dial up was getting
the timing somewhere near close to correct. The obvious
stuff internal to the PC is similar to what you go through with
a PPS input. With a serial port, you don’t have an interrupt
based on an edge. This makes things a bit more convoluted.

The modem side of things also has delays. Working out just
what they are is a bit exciting. Like a lot of things, you got it
close and then moved on.

You then have telecom network delays. This is fundamentally
the same as internet delays.

All of the stuff above can be / is / might be asymmetric.  most
cases all the delays turned out to be a bit variable. In an era of
tenth second timing, that probably was not a big deal. These
days with GPS giving you < 1 us the competition is in a different
league.

You have the same sort of issue with WWVB. The driver needs
to know the propagation delay. One high profile public server
in PA ran WWVB and got the sign on the delay backwards.
Not a good thing ……Since the delay varies night vs day, you
would pick one or the other.  That might have changed in newer
drivers.

Yes, all that info is a bit dated……

Bob