[time-nuts] Re: Testing replacement lamps for HP5065A

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 17 23:06:54 UTC 2022

Hi

You can get what *might* be Rb lamps on eBay. Since the
contents of the glass bulb are a mix of things, you never really
know if what’s in there is a good mix. The inside of some of the
bulbs is coated with Teflon ( this is a good thing ). Again, you
never quite know if this or that auction item is coated or not.

Next up, you need the right amount of Rb in the lamp. To little and
there’s not enough atoms to do the job.

Since the bulbs get used for various things other than standards,
you could easily get some that aren’t going to be any fun to use
in a standard.

Bob