[time-nuts] Re: Collector current that minimizes BJT noise

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Sep 19 12:47:10 UTC 2022

Hi

Typically, in the context of Time Nuts, the “noise” that is the issue is
added phase noise when amplifying a fairly high level RF carrier. In
that case, the 1/f noise of the device very much does matter. You also
need pretty significant collector current to provide the needed ( many
dbm ….) power output.

Oscillators are a bit different in terms of major collector current ( usually,
but not always …). They still are very sensitive to the 1/f noise in the
device.

Bob