[time-nuts] Re: Using a nanoVNA as DMTD, simulation only

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Tue Sep 20 16:12:17 UTC 2022

Bob,
Thanks for the hint.
After adding overlapping ADEV calculation and extending the simulation to a
100 seconds measurement period I did some simulations using -80 dB to -120
dB leakage of another signal at 10, 1, 0.1, and 0.01Hz difference and
varying the noise level up to -80 dBc/Hz.
Worst case is a delta frequency of the two inputs of 1 Hz and noise and
leakage at -80 dB but even under these conditions the ADEV at tau of 1
second stays below 1e-12.
Given the above leakage and noise conditions the minimum reliable
observable frequency difference is 1e-5 Hz which is very promising.
The nanoVNA (or its better cousin the LiteVNA) do have at least 80dB
isolation between the inputs so I'm tempted to implement this on the actual
HW for validation.
Given the HW, without modifications, it can only work for (almost) equal
frequencies but this should be sufficient for many relevan use cases.
One area of concern are the close-in spurs of the SI5351 when used at small
offsets from 10MHz. Too difficult to simulate.
Erik.