[time-nuts] Re: Hybrid analog digital dual stage DMTD based on nanoVNA HW. First actual measurement results

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Thu Sep 29 22:22:05 UTC 2022

Hi Erik,

There is a strong benefit in sampling the waveform over using the
original TIC approach, and that is that the decorrelation that the later
can experience is almost completely avoided. The slow variations you see
is quite typical and synthesizers have a variating degree of phase noise
to them. They can be just fine for some applications but not very useful
for others. Using a couple of low noise sources helps to establish the
measurement setup noise floor. A cheat-setup is to use one source and
split the signal into both inputs. Difference in cable length will cause
similar decorrelation, but unless you really get into longer lengths, it
is not significant to bother about.

I've been found to use cross-correlation setups to measure the noise of
sources and then using my quietest sources to measure the other ones
with good speed of convergence and trust in result.

It would be interesting to see just how far one could get the affordable
nanoVNA setup to run.

Cheers,
Magnus