[time-nuts] Getting phase noise data off an HP 3048A

Matt Huszagh huszaghmatt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 04:57:06 UTC 2023

Hi,

I have an HP 3048A that I'm running from an HP 382 controller. After
performing a phase noise measurement, I'd like to be able to retrieve
the data on another computer as a table of frequency offsets and phase
noise values. What are my options for doing this?  Answers about how to
get the plot also appreciated, but I'd really prefer the table of
values.

The HP 3048A can save results as RESU_x files, which appear to be binary
files including the measurement results as well as a parameter
summary. It can plot the graph to an external plotter too (or plotter
emulator of course). I didn't see much else.

So, one option would seem to be to figure out the format of the RESU_x
files. That would be nice, as it would come with the parameter summary,
as well as locations of the spurs. Has anyone investigated this?

Another option would be to plot them to a plotter emulator (I don't have
a physical plotter, and wouldn't want to plot and then scan anyway) and
then use a tool like WebPlotDigitizer to extract the numeric
data. That's a bit tedious and I don't currently have a GPIB controller
I can use with Windows to do this. (Actually, I've been meaning to get
one for some time, but am a bit reluctant as my last NI GPIB-USB-HS
broke after just a handful of uses, whereas my E5810A is rock
solid. Anyway, that's a separate topic...).

Another option might be to use the PN3048 software - maybe it can do
this. I haven't used that much since I have the 382. But, again, that
requires (I think) a GPIB adapter I don't have at the moment.

Or maybe HTBasic, but I don't have a license and the GPIB adapter still
applies.

Or, maybe I missed something really obvious in the 3048A manual and this
is natively possible. But, I wouldn't be surprised if, when this
software was written, it wasn't anticipated that someone would want this
data in another form than as a physical hard-copy or graph on a 200/300
series controller.

Thanks
Matt