[time-nuts] Re: Bruce's common emitter transformer feedback amplifier: oscillations with capacitive load

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 25 04:37:34 UTC 2023

Excessive leakage inductance can be an issue with some instability evident if the interstage transformer isn't terminated in 50 ohms. A transformer coupling factor greater than 0.95 is desirable for the nominal design winding inductances. A capacitive load is a poor approximation to the impedance presented by a length of unterminated coax at RF frequencies. The impedance can range from open to short circuit depending on the cable length. Saturation and/or cutoff can occur if the input signal is too large for the supply voltage or bias current.

Bruce