[time-nuts] Re: HP / Agilent 53132A

Brett Fanoga timenut at mi7.us
Thu Apr 27 23:34:42 UTC 2023

I do not own the 53132A, but I own a 53131A and they are similar.  The
53132A is rated at 150ps time interval resolution , the 53131A is rated
at 500 ps resolution.  I believe the 53132A is 12 digit and the 53131A
is 10 digit.

I bought mine about 2 years after they came out, I got one from a test
equipment leasing company for around $1100 US.  I have only had one
problem with mine, the fan failed.  It runs all the time, if the unit is
plugged in to power – even if the unit is off on the power switch.
Called HP and they do not sell the fan, they want to sell you the whole
power supply which they wanted a small fortune for.  But, I found
Digi-Key carried the exact fan, and I bought 2 units for just under $50
US about 10 years ago.  And now if I am not using the counter,  I unplug it.

Other problems noted, from other people, is the display can go dim on
you.  Its vacuum florescent and at one time, the Chinese were selling
replacements around $100 US.

Amateur’s have made third party boards for the units.  One adds the
pre-scaler, for the “C” input, you can buy them up to 12 GHz or so.  I
bought a 3 GHz unit, as the normal frequency range as a counter is
limited to 225 MHz.

Also available is high stability oscillator boards, some a working
product, some bare boards, for do it yourself.  I bought one with a
Morion MV-89A oscillator, as on occasion, I took the unit portable to go
work on transmitters.  But for time interval work, the standard time
base is fine.