[time-nuts] Re: ADEV on data with gaps

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Aug 4 21:10:30 UTC 2023

Dear Jim.

The best current strategy to calculate ADEV with datagaps was presented
by David Howe and colleagues recently in 2021 and 2022.

One of the published articles is this:

https://www.academia.edu/79180802/Time_series_Imputation_Algorithm

I don't think we where able to include it into the IEEE 1139 and 1193,
but I will be happy to be proven wrong. If not, we will for sure include
it in next revision.

Stable32 does not have that algorithm implemented, Stable32 rather treat
gaps by not calculating the squared value if any of the phase samples is
missing. Demetrios asked about this some time back on the list. I think
Timelab does the same in best case.

The imputation algorithm uses the same thinking as the TOTALDEV, and
consider the noise of each datasample, as independent when you have
second differentiation, and with independence you can move them around
as long as you do not make data re-appear twice. The approach chosen is
to reflect samples into the sequence in reverse order. In TOTALDEV you
mirror them out around the window you analyze.

The imputated time sequence can then be processed by ADEV and friends as
usual. It has been checked for robustness and have much better
robustness to loss of data than previous methods. See article.

This work created quite a buzz when it came, and for a good reason as it
is an usually strong step forward that addresses actual concerns for the
type of opertional context you describe, where continuous monitoring is
not quite possible.

I would also like to raise your awareness of the article by Prof.
François Vernotte et al "Uncertainties of drift coefficients and
extraplolation errors: Application to clock error prediction" in
Metrologia Feb 2001. This is relevant to understand how uncertainty of
phase due to various random noises behave. The gap from measuring to
when they appear again follow these rules. They align up well with
simulations I have done. I was able to contribute this article into the
IEEE 1139 and 1193 standards, and it was done to provide support for
GALILEO.

Please let me know if I can be of further assitance.

Cheers,
Magnus