[time-nuts] Hopf 7001 needs a new home

John Miller john at millerjs.org
Wed Aug 9 13:29:16 UTC 2023

Hi All,
About seven or eight years ago, at the beginning of my time-nuttery, I picked up a Hopf 7001, largely for aesthetic reasons. It had lived in the rack in my office until last spring, when we did some reorganizing and I ended up moving the rack to the basement. My ears appreciate the change, but unfortunately I no longer get to look at the beautiful VFD on the 7001.

It doesn't make sense for me to keep it, at this point. I figure someone in this group would be able to appreciate such a device - so if you're interested, please send me an offer.

I have photos of it here: https://photos.millerjs.org/?f=Hopf+7001 (a few from this morning and a few from last year when I first thought about re-homing it, but chickened out).

Despite being 22 years old, it doesn't seem to have any problems with leap seconds and displays the correct time and date - with a good antenna and sky view it gets a lock within about 20 minutes of booting up. It has a DC-DC power supply (accepting 18-36v input) and an RS-232 interface card. It can also simulate DCF77 I believe, I always wanted to get a European radio clock and test this but I never got around to it.

Regards,
John Miller
K1QLN