[time-nuts] Re: Working on a low-phase-noise frequency multiplier

wkb at xs4all.nl wkb at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 27 18:18:04 UTC 2023

Hi Bob, Bill,

Just to satisfy my, and maybe part of your, curiosity I ran some experiments. Coincidence has it that I own a Minicircuits MK-3 doubler. It was part of the original Efratom MRK setup, it sat between the FRK Rb and the MGPS module.

Anyway, on the SA it looks like in the attached screenshots.

Legenda:

- Plain-Efra-FRK is the spectrum obtained directly from the FRK-HLN

- The two Efra-MCL-MK-3-doubler-* are as the name implies the spectra from the MCL MK-3

- The Efra-builtin-doubler-V1.BMP is based on the design at  <http://www.timeok.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/high-performance-frequency-doublerv1-31.pdf> http://www.timeok.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/high-performance-frequency-doublerv1-31.pdf  V1 refers to the first prototype version of the PCB designed by Dave PA5DOF.
   ( 'builtin' references the fact that it is  builtin my Efratom rack). It might be worth noting that that the spectrum was obtained from one of the Efratom MBF distribution amp outputs, so not directly from the doubler.

  The spectrum It is not as clean as shown on the referenced web page.

Dave's and my joint rabbit hole led to the design of a V2 PCB to correct some minor layout goofups in V1. Which, as Murphy dictates, has fresh anomalies with the 5 MHz input signal 'punching through'. Reason is  as of yet under investigation. This is screenshot "v2-doubler-nieuwe-trafo-en-L4-C.bmp. "No Good" ☹

I do not own something which can measure phase noise (i.e. the HP 8595E SA really does not qualify) so I cannot tell you how things compare on the PN front.

Best,

Wilko