[time-nuts] Re: Looking for HP 10811D manual (if such exists)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Aug 30 02:41:34 UTC 2023

Hi

Selecting crystals before they go in oscillators is a very difficult process. Effectively,
you build the crystal into an OCXO and test that part for some weeks or months. You
then tear the OCXO apart and build a new one with the crystal.

This is a fine thing if you are making high end space flight gear. It doesn’t work for the
more “normal” space qualified parts. Below that, there is no real reason to build one
part and tear it down. Just build the OCXO and test it.

The 10811 got various dash numbers after the part number. They, rather than letters
indicated “grades” of oscillator (or different specs on the part). Those parts came from
a “select and test” on very normal finished OCXO’s. If 10 parts of a dash number got
ordered this month, a dozen or two parts got tested. The ones that past the spec got
the dash number.

So not a really exciting process.

Bob