[time-nuts] Re: pulling some crystals

glen english LIST glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Thu Dec 7 05:20:38 UTC 2023

Hi Bob

thanks for the comment. I had similar problems with 3OT, also, which I
got a bunch made of by Kystally. They were quite good but pulling for
10-15 years seems difficult.

  I'll read up on pre aging them a bit more, maybe the aging I see can
be  reduced. and talk to the mfr. The inductor I used needs a tweak I
find, but its also a bit hard to know precisely, because the xtals I
have have not aged yet- IE I'm just pulling them off their original cal
frequency.

Either a 16 to 24 MHz fundamental crystal multiplied up, or the OT
crystal easily meet my phase noise objectives. Using a 16 or 24 meg
fundamental crystalk, pulling the hell out of that is fine.....Although
at the extremes, I can detect some frequency tuning hysteresis and lack
of mototonicity so there are limits. and a lack of monotonicity will
drive a loop crazy.

-glen