[time-nuts] Re: pulling some crystals

Ed Marciniak ed at nb0m.org
Sat Dec 9 02:09:07 UTC 2023

Perhaps someone far wiser than I can chime in, but here’s my experience with crystal aging:

I ordered some 100.00000 MHz TO-5 crystals specified for frequency west type phase locked brick oscillators from international crystal. They were also ordered with forced aging.

I put one in the brick, and attached an FRS-C to my frequency counter. I then over a month or more, plotted the frequency versus time.

The resultant curve was an exact parabola with no jumps. I recall there being a slight diurnal variation as a result of the room temperature changing by a few degrees. I don’t have the graph handy, but I’d say the ballpark aging rate was around 20-25 parts per billion per month at the SC cut turnover temperature. The diurnal component was in the vicinity of 1-3 parts per billion. In fairness, if that sounds too good to be true, it’s possible that the linear power supply and brick circuitry could have partially cancelled or even enhanced the frequency change.

All that said, that was a sample size of two. We also have no way of knowing what exactly forced aging corresponds. It could be that there’s shelf stock that’s been sitting for a year. It could be that it’s run in a fixture at higher temperatures, or higher drive power or both. It could even be that rhe crystals were stored in an elevated temperature. It could be a mixture of all three or something else I’ve failed to account for. Bottom line, unless there’s a specific callout or specification you don’t really know where you might fall on what might happen to be a parabola.

What we do know is that if the drift were linear that if it drifted for 120 months at the first month drift rate, you’d likely have no chance of havaing enough adjustment range. What’s also not clear is what would happen if you took an old crystal and mated it to new components or even components run for a few months. My guess is that part of the aging is component aging other than the crystal.

It would be interesting to take some ocxo modules apart and replace the transistors, diodes and op-amps and see if devices past their pulling range could be brought back into range, and what the aging rate looks like.

In summary, based on my personal experience, I’d bet money on the aging being parabolic excluding grossly poor components other than the crystal. While you don’t know where on the parabola you are, you can estimate.

P.S. this was done on a bench that was stable enough to see interferometer fringes frozen for long periods of time unless an 18 wheeler drove by.