[time-nuts] Re: pulling some crystals

ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Sun Dec 31 03:33:26 UTC 2023

Yes, but as I wrote in the previous article, the delays of the CORDIC
are a PITA if you want a fast tunable digital oscillator for a snappy
Costas loop or such. Cordic shines when you have virtually no hardware
but shifters and adders. Those times are gone. Nowadays you get up to
2.6 GMACS in a Xilinx/AMD ZYNC, and that is a low-end chip family.
One or two Cortex9 ARM processors are thrown in, also.

I forgot to mention, that in   "James A Crawford: Frequency Synthesizer
Design Handbook"
Artech House  ++
there the Sunderland technique is mentioned that divides the look up
table
into 2 smaller ROMs, which gives an chip area advantage of 12 or up to
50 times and
costs just another tiny adder.

I just dug out the original:
<    https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1052173    > behind the IEEE
paywall of shame
DOI   <     10.1109/JSSC.1984.1052173    >
<   https://bothonce.com/10.1109/jssc.1984.1052173   > for the bad boys.
:-)

He writes about a 45 Kbit ROM that is reduced to two ROMs with
4 address bits each, 2816+1024 stored bits in toto. Quite modest.
OMG. That reminds me at HP's dynamic n-MOS process that we used as
near-kids at the univ.

The limit is now the DAC, if you really want to go back to the
analog domain at all.

Cheers & a happy new year,

Gerhard