[time-nuts] Re: gravity fields affect time keeping?

john.haine at haine-online.net john.haine at haine-online.net
Wed Feb 1 10:47:32 UTC 2023

There's an excellent book called Gravity From The Ground Up by Bernard Schutz:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gravity-Ground-Up-Introductory-Relativity/dp/0521455065/ref=sr_1_1?crid=253QEUS0PJDXU <https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gravity-Ground-Up-Introductory-Relativity/dp/0521455065/ref=sr_1_1?crid=253QEUS0PJDXU&keywords=gravity+from+the+ground+up&qid=1675248211&s=books&sprefix=gravity+from%2Cstripbooks%2C82&sr=1-1> &keywords=gravity+from+the+ground+up&qid=1675248211&s=books&sprefix=gravity+from%2Cstripbooks%2C82&sr=1-1

…which gives a fairly straightforward derivation of the small-field approximation to GR including gravitational time dilation – actually the latter comes just from a very simple thought experiment with observers and falling clocks, and once you have that the small field approximation follows quite easily.  That is a/k/a Newtonian Mechanics…  The book is quite expensive but there’s a lot of good reading to keep one busy.

John.