[time-nuts] Re: gravity fields affect time keeping?

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Wed Feb 1 06:38:02 UTC 2023

>> Anybody studied the influence of the Sun's gravity on clocks in GNSS
satellites?

Steve Allen said:
> This particular effect is small, and I am not sure that the GPS clocks are
> stable enough to reveal it.

I was at an astronomy talk last night.  One of the interesting comments by the
speaker is that the JWST is wonderfully stable.  It is constantly cold as
compared to the Hubble that goes into the Earth's shadow every hour with the
associated thermal swing.

I assume the guys in the GPS control room have lots of stability data.  Are
there times when a satellite will stay in the sun for several orbits?  Any
published data?

Picking an orbit to maximize the sun's gravity delta will go into the shade.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.