[time-nuts] Re: Attempting to start HP5061A

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Feb 8 09:53:21 UTC 2023

Hi Matt,

You're doing everything right. Read Paul's comment about the "crud burst":

https://febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2022-November/106842.html

The entire thread will be of interest to you. Search for "5061A HV
Supply" in the sorted monthly archive:

https://febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2022-November/subject.html

The short answer is it's totally normal for a 5061A to cycle like that
if it's been powered off for months or years. Leave it in open loop and
once in a while mentally measure the period. You say it's 10 seconds
now; it will slowly get faster and faster and eventually finish. The
entire process could take many minutes or even many hours; it all
depends on how long the tube has been unused. But as long as the cycle
slowly gets faster you're all set.

/tvb