[time-nuts] Re: Attempting to start HP5061A {External}

Jim Muehlberg jmuehlbe at nrao.edu
Wed Feb 8 14:16:09 UTC 2023

Hi Matt,

I just went through this when resurrecting a 5061A option 4 that was
about to be scrapped (Horrors!).  My ion pump power supply was flakey,
but after I fiddled with it, I got it to work.  I then saw the same
behaviour.  Ultimately, I connected an external supply to the ion pump
and left it powered for a few days.  This cleaned (or whatever happens)
the tube and I was able to lock it.  FWIW, the supply I connected was
about 7 kV.  The label said 3KV, but apparently that was under the rated
load.  In any event, I thought I wrecked the whole thing.  I was assured
by some time nuts that it was OK, and it was.  It's been running
continuously now for about 2 months.  Here's an ADEV plot for fun...

   Measured against another opt 4.  Both units have an unknown history,
and they are 40 year old tubes, so I consider this a success!  Good
enough anyway.

Good luck, and keep one hand in your pocket.

Jim