[time-nuts] Re: General query about disciplining circuitry

Ed Marciniak ed at nb0m.org
Thu Feb 9 13:36:07 UTC 2023

It’s not going to be budget friendly, but the symmetricom (now Microsemi) chip scale atomic clocks might get you there or close at least. You’d probably have to ask someone about what the loop time constants are. If they are something like 128 Hz, in theory the onboard quartz would be disciplined by the atomic transition as fast as the frequency was shifting…IF the loop filter once lock is achieved has the same bandwidth as when it’s unlocked.

I’m struggling with why you’d need the equivalent of hertz per 100GHz stability on that sort of power budget. A moving phase coherent receiver suggests whatever you’re trying to transmit or receive should be designed with a more forgiving frequency tracking loop. A carrier phase GNSS can probably cover most of the other use cases I can think of, and for the ones it can’t, you’re talking about things so big a bigger power budget isn’t a problem.