[time-nuts] Re: Mitigation of lamp oven and cavity oven temperature-induced frequency variation in rubidium atomic clock

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 22 07:17:17 UTC 2023

On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 07:12:40 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> Is this lasers stabilized and tuned by temperature, or are we into optical comb territory here ?

Currently it's just tunable lasers. I think the most common ones are DFB and DBR lasers
that are tuned using their lasing current and temperature. But there are also quite
a few ECDL with either gratings or cats-eye mirrors going around.

I don't think that optical combs will enter the Rb vapor cell market any soon.
These devices still cost more than what a complete Rb standard costs today.
And almost all of them are quite finiky devices that need constant pampering
(I know of only one manufacturer who makes them sturdy enough that they can run
long term without problems and are even immune to being hit by a hammer)

				Attila Kinali

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always