[time-nuts] Re: HP 5061A - bad cesium beam tube?

Chris Hastreiter chastreiter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 17:34:55 UTC 2023

Matt,

If you're seeing a second harmonic reading of 15 it's very likely that
there is still *some* cesium left in your tube.  No telling how long it
would last though.  If you haven't yet I'd recommend downloading a copy of
the service manual as there is a lot of good information there for
adjustment.

You should be able to get it to lock with a beam current of only 2, but it
may be difficult to see the peaks if you follow the normal startup
procedure.  Do you have another reference you can use to get the oscillator
close to on-frequency and try closing the loop?

Depending on the measurement equipment you have available I'd suggest
checking the following:

   1. Measure the electron multiplier voltage (-2500V supply A19).
   Depending on the age of your unit this could be adjustable on the A15
   assembly either with a potentiometer or by changing out a resistor.  The
   "Beam I Meter" adjustment on the front panel only changes the meter
   indication, but by changing the electron multiplier voltage you can try to
   increase the beam current (should be measured at the output of the tube
   where it plugs into A7-J1, there is a procedure in the manual)
      1. If the tube is running low on cesium (likely) you can improve the
      SNR for a while by boosting this voltage
   2. Perform the loop gain adjustment procedure on A7.  By increasing the
   gain of the AC amplifier you can boost the amount of 2nd harmonic signal
   available to help with lock

If you can get it to lock with the above then there are further adjustments
you can make.  Mine is in a similar boat and I just keep it in CS Off most
of the time and power up occasionally for a test.

Chris