[time-nuts] Re: HP 5061A - bad cesium beam tube?

Matt Huszagh huszaghmatt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 19:56:24 UTC 2023

Chris and Paul, thanks for the notes.

It now locks! It wouldn't last night, but I just tried again and the
continuous operation lamp illuminated. Unfortunately, the beam current
is now close to 0 and the 2nd harmonic is at about 10.

The 5 MHz signal seems pretty stable relative to the one from my
5065A. It drifts a little back and forth, but not much. I expect this is
a symptom of having a low SNR.

Chris, I do have the service manual; I'll take a look at the loop gain
adjustment and the -2500V supply.

Still, I'm not thrilled about having a unit with a weak tube. The seller
claimed this functioned correctly (from the pictures though I don't
think they knew how to test it). If I can get a good discount I'd keep
it, but otherwise I may send it back.

Matt