[time-nuts] Re: 10811 behavior - addendum

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Feb 28 13:41:24 UTC 2023

Hi

Since the others have chimed in on beat notes, I’ll poke at the power supply
stuff.

One really fun aspect of an oven controller is that it can indeed cycle without
the power supply being defective. Put a dozen or so parts on a test fixture and
feed them through a skinny piece of wire. You likely will get them all cycling.

The gotcha is that a defective contact can do pretty much the same thing as
that skinny wire. A failure of a component in the controller that boosts it’s gain
also can put it into the same sort of cycling.

Spotting this is pretty easy. Look at the current meter on the power supply.
It will be cycling as the ovens do their thing. If it isn’t, cross this off the list.

No, this would not be my first guess, still it is a possibility.

Bob