[time-nuts] Re: HP 10509A antenna specifications?

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:21:40 UTC 2023

Great to hear on the vlf117 Matt.
I have 2 of the units that I had to repair also. Fortunately no leaking
caps.
The urge is to add new tubes and then tweak the coils. Don't. They are
fragile.
However the fact that you need -80 dbm does seem a bit low.
Assuming the preamp in the antenna is about 10 db or so.
Believe there were 2 antenna versions. One used 2 X nuvistors and as I
recall the other 2 X transistors.
Coax sends 30 VDC.
The antenna is a loop antenna and does look like a piece of conduit. But
there is a break in the conduit so it
does not form a shorted turn. Typically the loop is a piece of 25 pair
phone cable. The ends solder together turn by turn to make 1 wire.
Then a resonating cap for 60 KHz.

Now the bad news.
Even if you get the vlf117 working. It can no longer track the wwvb carrier
because phase shift keying was introduced some 10 years ago. This obsoletes
all of the old tracking receivers. You need some adapter to get rid of the
keying.
Several have been made. One thats been very effective is the d-psk-r.
Search time nuts archives. But these adapters are a whole additional layer
of complexity.
Without them you have a nice heater.
Good luck Matt.
Paul