[time-nuts] Re: hp 5061B, power-up sequence, logging

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Jan 4 17:44:49 UTC 2023

Hi Tom,

While I have not been looking at 5061A/B in particular, this do touches
on an idea I've been having.

Several of the analog rubidiums and cesiums have the same thing, a
rotary switch and things you can monitor. However, I've found that even
a very simple monitoring gives usually a great insight. For
Oscilloquartz cesiums, all the various voltages is available on a DB25
connector, so a project would be to use some small suitable processor,
scan voltage and log them similar to what we have from say FTS-4040/4065
etc. Many other rubidiums and cesiums could probably do the same thing.
A certain amount of signal-conversion in analog is needed to scale it
in. The EFOS A/B masers do the same thing really.

Being able to dump things into InfluxDB/Grafana help a lot, including
storing data and post-process them at need.

So, I think that once a suitable core code for such a thing is done,
doing the necessary analog adaptations for the various boxes and
document the offset/scaling factors to "real units" should make the
"catch script" relatively easy to adapt and we could lower the
threash-hold and crowd-develop it as we go. I would love to modify all
my running analog clocks to have this. None of my HP506[0-2] has cesium
thought.

Cheers,
Magnus