[time-nuts] Re: HP 58533A gps help?

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:51:46 UTC 2023

The HP58503A has a serial port (female DB9, wired as a DTE, that is 5
GND, 2 input, 3 output, default 9600,N,8,1) and an SCPI command
interface, so, to test the communication, you can try a simple
terminal program (putty, miniterm and so on) and see if it works that
way first (use the command *IDN?<CR>). The pinout is a DTE-type with a
female connector, that is, while the pinout is the same as a PC, the
connector gender is not suitable to use a standard PC to audio modem
cable and you can not use a standard female-female null-modem cable:
you must wire your own cable. See page 2-8 of this manual:
<http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/hp58503a/097-58503-13-iss-1.pdf>