[time-nuts] Re: HP 58533A gps help?

Gregory Beat w9gb at icloud.com
Fri Jan 13 17:51:20 UTC 2023

Table of HP GPS and OCXO units (eToy Box, Japan)
http://etoysbox.jp/Memo/3_Test_Equipments/GPS_Rx/HP_Agilent_GPS_receivers.html

I recently observed an HP 58533A being sold on eBay by Solano Traders during the first week of Jan 2023.  eBay Auction # 364070604829

The HP 58533A, which supports only GSM systems, is HP’s least expensive time and frequency reference receiver ($1,600 USD).  It was introduced with the 53540A ($1,850 USD) at mobile/cellular radio industry trade shows in 1998.

HP 58533A GPS Time and Frequency Reference Receiver
Web Page by eToys Box (Japan)
http://etoysbox.jp/Memo/3_Test_Equipments/GPS_Rx/HP_Agilent_GPS_receivers.html

The HP 58533A was used with GSM networks and has NO Holdover Function.
It has DIFFERENT Voltage Requirements (5 and 15 VDC).  It uses the TOYOCOM TCO-635A (10 MHz) and the Furano GPS Receiver.
—
That 58533A unit, and the 58540A were sold to Mobile/Cellular networks for their base stations (HP Santa Clara division). 58540A was used with CDMA and GSM networks with long-holdover.
https://www.wirelessdesignonline.com/doc/base-station-timing-components-0001

Bill Jones, K8CU reviewed the HP 58540A , of that same family / Era, several years ago.
Note Bill’s commentary on its usage (and missing functions).
http://www.realhamradio.com/58540A.htm

That should provide some initial references.

greg, w9gb
==