[time-nuts] Re: MHM-A1 maser temperature stabilization

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 17 17:29:26 UTC 2023

Hi

I may well be missing something obvious in the electronics to heat conversion process
( it certainly would not be the first time … :). That said:

I set up a box with foam and the 100W from the device inside heats it up by about
4 C. You immediately get into questions about “4C where?”.  Just accept the number and
move on for now.

The room wanders a bit. How much depends on a lot of things. 2C is not a bad guess on
most days. At the wrong time of year it could be 2X that. There is a day to night component
that usually dominates.

Target is to damp out the 24 hour swing. The R/C should be longer than that. How much
will depend a bit on the temp stability target. 1C/24 hrs is an improvement. The folks who
made the gizmo suggest that 0.1C is a better target. Yes, the “C” in the R/C just moved 10:1
as you changed that target. (There are other issues as well, for now, let’s ignore them)

As I do this in my usual hand waving fashion, I come up with hundreds of liters of water for
the thermal mass. It just goes up if I move from 1C and get closer to 0.1C.

This assumes that everything else is zero mass. Things do “follow” the room temp with an
lag of a couple hours. Even to get to 1C, significant thermal mass needs to be added.  ( or
lots more insulation, stick with mass for now ).

Am I missing something or is the “hundreds of liters” guess more or less in the right range?
There are some practical implications to playing with groups of ten  “jerry cans” full of water.
(even as a “try it and see" experiment).

No, this isn’t an attempt to come up with a full up answer. It’s just a question about what
the rough order of magnitude is in this approximate case. There are enough holes in the
data above that any sort of precise answer is data limited.

Bob