[time-nuts] Re: MHM-A1 maser temperature stabilization

Neil Smith neil at g4dbn.uk
Tue Jan 17 19:09:11 UTC 2023

One thing I've tried to reduce diurnal and seasonal thermal variation is putting the sensitive components in a hyper-insulated enclosure with high thermal mass mounted inside another stabilised oven, also with plenty of thermal mass, but then connecting a well insulated copper bar from the inner enclosure to a stabilised Peltier cooling plate mounted outside. That gives me a very stable thermal flow with a large temperature gradient so the inside oven thermal control loop can stay in a nice linear regime and doesn't have to deal with large changes in required heating power.
It's overkill for my application, which is a only a 10MHz Morion MV-89a OCXO.

I also have a 120 litre water tank with a circulating pump that can keep a cooling plate at a very stable temperature over periods of an hour or so, but its main use-case is for cooling high powered RF amplifiers.

Neil
https://youtube.com/MachiningandMicrowaves