[time-nuts] Re: Low 1/f transistors for oscillator

glen english LIST glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Tue Jan 17 19:43:48 UTC 2023

Really interesting discussion.

The reasion for my 98.304 meg synthesiser reference, it allows me to run
the phase det at 98 megs principally to improve 5kHz-100kHz region. PLL
BW ~ 90kHz. VCO with ADF4356  running at x64 (6 gigs) (393 MHz output) .
It's quite good.

However ! performance limit <= 100Hz  is very much the reference.

So- would need to lock that 98 meg 3OT crystal so something like a 6.144
. Wonder how effective an harmonic  injection lock here is compared to a
PLL for the 0.1Hz to  100 Hz region. I will need to understand this
better and do some revision and reading.....

Or start with a 6.144 or 12.88 and multiply up to 98 megs and use that,
with any multiplier evils.

I note Rick when I re read the HP papers on the 10811  they had to start
at -55 deg C..... funny.

(I have considered 98 >>doubler >> 196>>doubler >> 393 and no synth ,
but the synth provides me some get out of jail aliasing options) .

I have a ceramic dielectric resonator at 393 MHz synth output to kill
off wideband > +10 MHz spurs (which are around -85dBc) . The $5 fix was
very effective. (Er=90, about 20mm long ) .

  -glen