[time-nuts] Re: MHM-A1 maser temperature stabilization

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 17 20:01:13 UTC 2023

Hi

Yes, a big swimming pool of mercury or water is going to do a lot of things that
make it really fun to analyze. Folks seem to run circulation pumps to reduce the
impact. Not on my list right now ….

Water is attractive because it holds a lot of heat per unit mass. One KG of concrete
soaks up 880 J/(Kg-K). One L of water comes in at  4,181. More fun numbers at:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/specific-heat
Specific Heat Calculator
omnicalculator.com

Solid concrete weighs about 3X what water does by volume, but water still wins
the race. If the concrete has air spaces in it, it falls further behind on a volume basis.

In terms of a practical answer for a fluid, put it in small(er) containers (or baffle it).
Then you don’t have it doing weird flow stuff. Yes, another rabbit hole to wander down.
Right now a bunch of 2 L glass jars are sitting over there on the shelf …..

Coming back to the basic question:

	Concrete *or* water, how much do I need?

Not looking for anything past a rough order of magnitude to see if my magic
math number of  > 250 liters of water is anywhere close. ( In concrete numbers,
is > 400 liters close? )

Just trying to get an idea of the scope of the project. If the answer is 25 and not 250,
it’s trivial to do. If it’s 250 … gulp … If its 2,500 … yikes ….. As you might guess from
the reference to the glass jars, empirical data suggests that 25L is not the answer.

At some point adding this or that makes the enclosure bigger and the insulation needs
to get thicker to stay at the same net loss value. There’s only so much room over there :)

Bob