[time-nuts] Re: MHM-A1 maser temperature stabilization (Skip Withrow)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jan 18 18:39:03 UTC 2023

Hi

Pretty much every maser data sheet you look at has the 0.1C temperature variation
spec on it. So far, it appears that none of the folks making masers have been able to
work out a way around keeping the environmental temperature very stable.  The masers
are more and more stable as each new design comes out. it’s just that temperature still
is the limiting factor for frequency stability.

I’d bet that if you are deploying a fleet of these beasts, you grab those chambers as
well. Much easier than redesigning / certifying / maintaining  a bunch of random rooms
at sites all over the place. If the chamber is only $40K ( who knows ….), it’s roundoff
error on that big new maser buy.

For modern maser designs, the “how many days to cross over with a 5071?” question
gets right back to temperature. It does have a practical impact ….

Bob