[time-nuts] Re: 20230122: Please help me understand my OCXO

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 24 14:15:30 UTC 2023

Hi

Looking at the data, past day 10 you get into the “unclear” range. Is the data
limited by the test resolution? maybe. It temperature an issue? who knows. Is
there something else going on …..

After a month or so, you can likely draw a box around data with wobbles in it and
make a rational guess about the aging rate. Take the diagonal through that box
and it’s a pretty reasonable guess at the max rate.

Back in the 70’s 1 ppb per day was a pretty good spec on an OCXO. As time went
on, things got better and better. Going from AT to SC crystals helped a bit. Mostly,
crystal processing just improved in many small steps over many decades.

To really know what category the one you have falls into aging wise, you need more
data. A month or three of monitoring will give you a better idea. Best guess is it
will fall away to the “need that box” level. You simply will be guessing with the current
test setup.

Hermetic (or reasonably hermetic) OCXO’s tend to do pretty well after storage. They
don’t soak up humidity like the open designs do. What you are seeing is not unusual
on a part like you have.

How good can it get? I’ve seen groups of OCXO’s from back in the 1970’s that stayed
well below 1x10^-8 per year. There are TBolt’s with OCXO’s on them that have even
less change per year over the 10 to 30 years since they left the factory.

Does aging when powered off count? How long has this or that example been on
power vs off power? There’s not a lot of way to get that data on most of these parts.
One would *guess* that this or that device did spend significant time on power before
it got scrapped out.

Take the yearly numbers and do the division. You can get a daily rates.  1x10^-8 / 365
gets you 3x10^-11/day. I’d suggest that while it’s a valid use of math, the result isn’t
really significant for a “per day” estimate.

The good news: Your OCXO seems to be running ok and it’s not broken.

Bob