[time-nuts] Re: Ref out on Keysight 53230A

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Wed Jan 25 06:44:54 UTC 2023

Jürgen

Is the period of the phase jumps of the ref out related to the frequency
difference of the free running internal ref and the external supplied ref?
If so, this could imply the internal ref couples into the pll locking to
the external ref and creates a periodically pull that causes the
internal pll to jump.
If this is the case then the measurements done with the 53230A should
also have such a phase jump when an external reference is supplied. Not
sure if such a small phase jump would be visible on the 53230A.
On one of my counters the jump is only visible when I use a rather short
(10 ms or lower) gate time but then it is very visible. With a gate time
of 1 second the jump is totally invisible
If the measurements do not have such a  phase jump there is no harm done.
Erik.