[time-nuts] Denmark in the Century of the fruitbat

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jan 25 20:41:38 UTC 2023

As some of you may recall, legal time in Denmark is "the mean solar
time of the 15th eastern longitude", because nobody got around to
update the "Law of Time" from 1893 which said so.

(See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRz-Dl60Lfc)

Today, finally, the government proposed new law which says which
will say:

	"Danish normal time will follow UTC plus one hour"

If ratified, the law will take effect on March 26 2023 at 02:00.

The law does not say if 02:00 is according to the old or the new
law, which according to current Bulletin A will differ by 22.68
milliseconds by then.

Related to this, the Danish Institute of Fundamental Metrology
received a grant last year to implement and distribute this new
legal timescale and to contribute it to BIPM.

DFM went shopping at T4, and have spent half a year getting to know
their new maser, which they now report to BIPM as UTC(DFM):

	https://webtai.bipm.org/ftp/pub/tai/Circular-T/cirthtm/cirt.420.html

At some point soonish, they will also start to distribute their
timescale with NTP and PTP, at which point my 25 year long career
as unofficial danish provider of illegal time will come to an end.

Related to that I note with some sadness, that my own time-nut
activities have taken a back-seat to my involvement in datamuseum.dk.

As a result, I am starting feel a bit guilty about "hoarding"
time-nut kit, which I never find time do something with, and will
therefore entertain fair offers from fellow time-nuts on:

one HP5065
    Has been running continuosly for five years.

one HP5065
    Probably works.
    The synthesizer has been "repaired" by replacing it with a small
    microcontroller to produce the correct frequency, but I have
    not had it running for a long time with that repair.  Has been
    powered off for the last three or four years.

One HP5370B
    With Johns CPU upgrade

One HP5359A
    Does not seem to start now.  It used to.

FE408 (15MHz)

Austron 1150 OCXO (5MHz)
    Worked last I used it.

IsoTemp OCXO118-20
    9.999933 MHz - (DMTD candidate!)

Send me private email if you are interested...

Poul-Henning