[time-nuts] Re: Network interface cards that support timestamping

usenet at teply.info usenet at teply.info
Mon Jan 30 21:40:46 UTC 2023

Hey John,

as far as I'm aware, there are a few Ethernet ICs which do have hardware
pins for PTP purposes. The Broadcom BCM54210PE comes to mind as used on
the Raspberry Pi CM4 (not the regular Raspberry Pi 4, the Compute
module, they use different Ethernet PHYs). I believe the Intel i225 also
has dedicated Pins for PTP, but can't find the datasheet I once obtained
to make sure. IF these pins however are accessible on the typical NIC
(as in plugin card, not just the silicon chip itself) depends very much
on who did the design. The abovementioned Raspberry pi CM4 has two
dedicated pins available, directly wired to the appropriate pins of the
PHY chip, but driver support is not entirely there yet last I heard.

For generic off-the-shelf i210/i225 cards, I have yet to come across one
which has documented hardware pins for PTP purposes, but the sample size
is rather small (four or five different cards in total...).

Judging from a "grep -r TX_HARDWARE ./*" in Linux kernel tree there seem
to be a few drivers which support hardware timestamping of some sort, so
my first guess would be that those coming up there could potentially
have pins which can be used for timestamping purposes. There might be
more as not everyone is publicly documenting their chips in a way that's
actually useful, but at least it's a start.

HTH,
Florian