[time-nuts] Re: Network interface cards that support timestamping

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Jan 31 04:03:13 UTC 2023

On 1/30/23 5:31 PM, S McGrath via time-nuts wrote:
> All your points are good ones,   My point was this is the common lowest
> cost approach,  better approaches exist and they range from tens of dollars
> to thousands depending on the accuracy needed.
>
> Driving the CD line with a ‘real’ serial port is good enough for ‘standard’
> NTP timing applications,  its not good enough for a ‘time nuts’
> implementation

I daresay that finding a motherboard with a "real" serial port is pretty
challenging. And even if you plugged in a serial expansion card of some
sort, modern mobos probably aren't going to have a clean deterministic
IRQ behavior.

The idea of a (potentially inexpensive) standalone box that can do it is
intriguing.  But we started with networking - So what is being discussed
is something like a USB Ethernet dongle with time stamping.