[time-nuts] Re: gravity fields affect time keeping?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Jan 31 15:01:27 UTC 2023

Kevin,

That moon link is making the rounds through the 'net. It's an
interesting topic what to do with SI units and UTC timekeeping for Mars
and Moon.

 > I’m curious about what type of clocks are affected by local gravity,
and how much.

1. The obvious example is pendulum clocks since they are directly
related to g. Period T = 2pi sqrt(L/g) so a 1 ppm change in g is a 5e-7
change in frequency. This is why you have to recalibrate a good pendulum
clock if you move it up or down a few floors (g depends on elevation).
The same is true if you move it north or south (g depends on latitude).
The very best pendulum clocks are also affected by tides (local g
changes due to sun and moon).

2. OCXO are also sensitive to acceleration, including g, the
acceleration of gravity. Check the 2g-turnover spec on the datasheet.
It's not uncommon to see 1e-10 or 1e-9, which means its frequency
changes by 1 ppb if you rotate (literally, turn over) the oscillator.
This is why you want to place your best quartz frequency standards on a
very solid table or rack or floor, without vibration, and especially do
not tilt them, not even by a millimeter.

3. The best atomic clocks and all optical clocks are good enough that
relativistic effects appear (both velocity and gravity). The frequency
changes by 1.1e-16 per meter change in elevation. This is why you can
demonstrate gravitational time dilation using portable cesium clocks and
a mountain. Go up one km, stay for a day, and the clock comes back 10 ns
ahead (older) compared to the clock you left at home.

 > Clocks on Earth and the Moon naturally tick at different speeds

The UTC timescale is based on the SI second defined at sea level on
planet earth. Cesium clocks tick at a different rate depending on the
mass and radius of the planet. So compared to a clock freely floating in
space far far away from any mass, a clock at the surface of the earth
runs 6.95e-10 slower, which is about 60 us per day, and a clock on the
surface of the moon runs 3.13e-11 slower, which is about 2.7 us/day. The
difference is about 57 us/day, as the article mentions.

/tvb