[time-nuts] Re: Unobtanium bulbs for HP506x: Found 'em!

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Jan 31 20:20:04 UTC 2023

These midget flanged base style bulbs are extensively used in old gear.
I used to have a pretty big collection of salvaged old indicator lamp
fixtures and bulbs, but gradually used them up to now having only a few
of the really nice ones left.

I have done a lot of LED swap-ins with these, to get virtually permanent
bulb life in projects that I build. I gut the glass bulb and adhesive
out of the base, and mount a suitable LED, and design or modify the
electronics to work with the LED. The LEDs never look quite like the
original lamps - sometimes worse, sometimes better - so it usually takes
some fooling around with the jewel and LED colors and added diffusing
materials to be satisfactory.

Doing this for existing equipment almost always needs some internal
mods, which are typically quite easy. I have a fair number of certain
bulbs still good, saved for replacements in various gear. Once they run
out, it will be time for changing to LEDs. I save all the burned out
bulbs as husks for LED transplants.

Here's an interesting aside (I think). The Tek 7000 series scopes use
this style bulb (three of them) for graticule illumination. A few years
ago, I made and installed some "white" LED replacements to see how they
worked. It looked pretty good, and I was happy. Then I took some screen
shots with a phone/camera. The graticules showed up nearly invisible in
the pictures. The false spectrum of the LEDs fooled the eye OK, but the
camera's response was way different.

The lesson is to make sure the LED "color" actually works properly in
all of its applications. The LEDs I used back then were of some whitish
unknown type. I think the more modern high power ones built for lighting
should have a good spectrum for cameras too, but I haven't yet tried the
obvious experiment to find out.

Ed